In order to give a competent answer to this question, and at the same time to find out if you are training correctly, it is necessary to clarify — for what purpose are you running, what is the duration and intensity of the resulting cardiac load, what time of day does this happen? After all, running for weight loss and without to maintain physical fitness is completely different.
To begin with, remember. The initial source of energy for skeletal muscle contraction is the reaction of the oxidation of glucose from the blood or the breakdown of glycogen, a form of storage of carbohydrates in muscle tissue and the liver. By the way, a certain amount of it is an untouchable reserve that the body spends only in situations that are extreme for life. When carbohydrates are over, amino acids are used, and then energy is drawn from the breakdown of the contents of fat cells. And only when there is no blog about fitness, the muscles begin to “devour” themselves.
Therefore, running on an empty stomach for long distances is not recommended only for people with low weight and minimal muscle mass. Running an empty stomach will not be harmful to everyone else, with the exception of those who have a stomach ulcer or duodenal ulcer. They need a slightly delayed, preliminary light snack. It will protect the damaged wall from gastric juice, which begins to stand out in response to running, which is an average stressful situation for the body.
Running for fitness
If you are not running for weight loss, but for general physical fitness, follow these guidelines:
- The number of workouts per week and their duration: 2 times for 30-60 minutes + 1 time for 120 minutes. If you are a beginner, start with a lighter schedule: 3 times a week for 30 minutes. If you are very tired, use a solvable indulgence and for a while proceed to a quick step.
- Control the load on the heart. The pulse during running should be in the range from 120-130 beats / min (150 max), and after its completion should be restored to normal after 5-10 minutes.
- Work out before breakfast. However, if this is not possible, then train after 1.5-2 hours after dinner.
- Do not run on an empty stomach! Eat a banana 30-20 minutes before it (preferably not very mature) or 30 g of dark chocolate, and before the 120-minute workout, support the body with two bananas.
- Will you train after dinner? In this case, it should consist of fish and vegetable stew.
- Remember, after a large portion of fatty or “long-carbohydrate” food, the stomach will become almost empty, which means you can run away only after 2.5-3 hours.
- If you strictly adhere to the rules, then in order for the OFP-supporting running training to not lead to weight loss, then after them it is necessary to replenish energy reserves. After 15-20 minutes, this time is enough for you to take a hygienic shower and get into the “anabolic food window”, eat a solid carbohydrate-protein breakfast. The best choice for the evening is grapefruit.
In any case, before running training, do not forget to drink a glass of water, as well as do a small workout. Pay attention to the joints and tendons of the legs — this will protect you from injuries. A few tilts and turns of the body will help to avoid convulsions of the gallbladder and spleen.
If you are aiming to lose extra pounds, then running for weight loss is ideal to spend on an empty stomach. At the same time, if the excess weight is insignificant, up to 5 kg, then it is recommended to observe the following rules:
- the number of morning running sessions per week — 3;
- the duration of one run — gradually increase from 30 to 60 minutes;
- cardio intensity — bringing up to 65-70% of the pulse zone;
- follow a hypocaloric diet, balance fats-proteins-carbohydrates — 15 \ 25 \ 60 (%);
- have breakfast only 1 hour after the end of the run.
Is your weight too far from ideal? Then to the above you need to add 3 high-intensity interval fitness training, including strength exercises. They burn fat a little slower than running, but they return the sensitivity of cells to insulin and normalize carbohydrate metabolism, which ultimately causes not just weight loss, but also recovery. Such training is best done in the evening. You can do it either on the same days or on the other 3.
Is it still difficult for you to run or do fitness on an empty stomach? No problem! Take the advice of American aerobics experts. They conducted a study that showed that taking 40 g of carbohydrates and 20 g of protein 20 minutes before training does not significantly affect the dynamics of weight loss, but it gives the necessary strength for an entire hour.